Monday, August 9, 2010

Big Boy Bed

George turns 2 tomorrow.  And in preparation for our trip to Ireland, we put him in a big boy bed tonight.  In his room we put a twin sized bed in the corner, so two sides are against the wall.  Then his crib is still there, pressed against another side.  The rest of that side has an old mesh bedrail (for now) handed down from my sister.  Only the bottom of the bed is "open."  I folded a big quilt at the bottom on top of my nursing pillow, to make a bit of a wedge there to deter falling.  And I put pillows on the floor, just in case.

So far, so good.  We got him ready for bed tonight, telling him he'd sleep in the big boy bed.  When he seemed unsure, we asked him which bed he wanted to sleep in.  He said, "Big boy."  After our normal bedtime routine, I went to put him in the twin bed.  He started fussing, a panicked look in his eyes, "udder bed Mommy, udder bed."  So I lay down with him for a bit.  Eventually, he seemed nearly ready.  So I said goodnight and headed out.  Of course, I watched the video monitor non-stop for the next 20 minutes until he quit rubbing and stroking the sheet and fell asleep.

Now I just have to hope I sleep tonight, and don't spend every moment watching the video monitor to be sure he's safe...

Big step tonight, for Mommy and for George.