Monday, August 9, 2010

Pie Eating Contest!

Last week I made a fresh blackberry pie.  You see, we've let our garden go a bit this year.  I can officially and honestly say that the weeds are winning.  Perhaps they have won, though I intend to fight back, and hard, this fall.  But we have several places in our yard where the blackberries really took off, as Pacific Northwest blackberries tend to do.  But we let them get far enough along that it really didn't make sense to get rid of them until after we benefit from the harvest.  So, now we have blackberries oozing out our ears.  And since it's fruit fly season, and we've never been known to have an empty refrigerator, we have to use them, quickly.  So, our first harvest became fresh blackberry pie.

George had had a late afternoon snack at school less than an hour before bedtime, and I didn't expect him to be very hungry for dinner.  But I did want to share my fresh, pesticide free, made with organic flour, sugar, lemon, butter pie with my son.  So, I served George fresh blackberry pie with whipped cream for dinner.  George was a very happy boy.  He started off with a big grin, happily using his fork to eat his yummy treat.  But things deteriorated rapidly, and George appeared to enter his very first, and uncontested, pie eating contest.