Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tired Parents

George didn't sleep very well last night.  He woke up at 11:15 pm (less than one hour after I fell asleep-brutal), 1:15am and 3:15 am.  Each time it took me about 35 minutes to get him back to sleep, then another 20 to get me back to sleep.  He has another terrible cold, and maybe another ear infection brewing.  Whatever the reason, getting up for work this morning was pretty brutal.  But I did it.  I got up, got George nursed and dressed and diapered and teeth brushed.  I got myself dressed and teeth brushed.  I made us both breakfast that we shared.  I packed a healthy lunch for myself, and we got out the door.  I brought him in to daycare, had a 10 minute conversation with his teacher and another mom, then headed back into the pouring rain to the car.  I got a bit more of a chuckle than usual from the parking attendant, and took a look in the mirror.  Well, I had brushed my teeth, but not my hair.  And worse than that, I hadn't washed my face last night or this morning, so had absolute raccoon eyes from yesterday's mascara!  Lovely sight!

Well, baby wipes in the car are a godsend, and fingers for hairbrushes, not too bad.  I was able to appear fairly tidy by the time I arrived at work.

Telling Chris this story (and the one where I got to work only to discover I still had my slippers on) got him to share...

His story.  The story he is too embarrassed to tell many people.  I think the distance is great enough now that he won't kill me for going public with it.  I hope.

When George was about 9 weeks old he went through quite a colicky period.  We had many late and sleepless nights.  One night when I was too tired to cope, Chris took over for the entire night, and still got up for work the next day.  He leaves really early.  Usually around 5:30, and this was October, so it was dark.  To allow me to sleep, he gets dressed pretty much in the dark and heads out in the dark, and arrives at the office in the dark, etc...Anyhow, he put on his gorgeous camel overcoat and headed to work.  He arrived at work, walked in and felt like he got a very strange look from the security guard.  He walked past many occupied cubicles, said good morning to a few co-workers, and arrived at his desk.  There he went to take his coat off only to realize he was not wearing his long, camel overcoat.  He was wearing my 3/4 length PINK wool coat...

He was so horrified he stuffed it in a drawer and didn't bring it home for 3 weeks.  It only took him a week to tell me the story.

Here is a less embarrassing picture of a very tired Daddy...(while I was on baby duty last night, Chris had to get up to take care of our senior dog at 2 am)...