Monday, September 6, 2010

Life update

Well, we're home from Ireland and finally nearly past our jetlag.  It was quite rough in this direction, with George trying to go to bed for the night at two in the afternoon, and waking up at 2 am, then 3 am, then 4 am the first three nights consecutively.  I posted that we put George in a big boy bed before we left for Ireland.  He was brilliant.  The first night he slept through and did not get out of bed.  The 2nd night, he woke up a few times and seemed nervous.  Same the third night.  The fourth night he slept through again.  The most difficult part was nap time, convincing him to stay in bed.  But now, after a week at home and 2 weeks in Ireland in his own bed, he is pretty good at staying put, though this morning he got out of bed and crawled to his door, brace and all.

On the potty training front, he seemed to forget much of it in Ireland, so we bought him a travel potty, which helped.  If he is not wearing pants, he does not have accidents.  He always goes in his potty, or asks to go on the toilet (usually on his potty though, and he tells us after).  This evening he even pooped on the potty in spite of some uncomfortable constipation (won't he love reading this when he's a teenager?).  We're thinking about trying to do the 3 Day Potty training soon, and getting rid of diapers.  But right now we're weaning him off of the pacifier--babies use pacifiers, big boys don't.  So now he is using it in bed only.  Or at the end of our 3.5 mile walks when he starts getting sleepy and fussy being stuck in the stroller.  So one thing at a time.

He is really excited about being a big boy.  When I pick him up (all 28.5 lbs of him), he says, "I'm big boy!"  We are able to convince him to quit asking for his pacifier by saying "big boys don't use pacifiers."  He loves to sleep in his big boy bed.  Today we went and visited our friend Lisa and the new twins.  They are 2 months old and he was very interested in them.  He rarely gets his pronouns wrong, but he kept saying, "I wan touch it" about the babies.  But he was very sweet with them, giving them hugs and cuddling them.  And he enjoyed talking about how they were babies and he was a big boy.

He is also a bit too smart sometimes, and, as always, very cheeky.  Yesterday I took him with me to the grocery store.  He got a bit fussy, so I said, "It's OK, Momma's here."  He responded by saying, "Hi Momma" in a tone that implied that wasn't what I was normally called and he knew it and was being silly.  Followed by, "Hi Mommy, Hi Momma, Hi Mommy."  Then he got his superior voice on and said, "Hi Meg!" with such gravity he had me laughing out loud.  Clever boy knows all my names.  And lately he has started saying, "Hi babe" to me.  I guess I call him babe sometimes, and Chris and I call each other babe.  But he thinks it is very funny to call me babe.  He doesn't do any of this to Chris, though he does call, "Chris" whenever I call out for Chris.

He is very interested in babies lately too.  He sees them everywhere and points them out.  At Costco the other day he said, "Mommy have some babies!"  He seemed quite excited about the idea, though not so when I asked if he wanted a brother or sister.  To that he said a very simple and firm, "NO!"